First, remember for BC Family day, there is no judo tonight; instead there will be a single combined class from 7-8:30 Tuesday (where the younger judoka are welcome to bow off at 8).
Next, congratulations to Teigan, Kiyoshi, Nadine and Sydney for competing at the BC Youth Provincials in Abbotsford. Kiyoshi got silver U16-38, bronze for U14-38; Nadine silver for U16-40 and Sydney gold for U18-57. Carson took part as our first representative in a petit samourai event and Mnason joined in with the other team members for the Sunday BC team workout–where coach LeBris described some of the rule changes coming for 2018.
Also, more events are on the way–with registration deadlines coming up:
- Pacific International (Richmond Mar 3-4) Online registration deadline February 17th — last chance to weigh-in/register in club February 15th.
- Edmonton International (March 10-11) Online registration February 25th — last chance to weigh-in/register in club February 22nd.
Good luck to our BC Winter Games competitors in Kamloops February 22-25. Let’s go zone Two! The BCWG will be the last event of the season with the 2017 rules. Please mail or talk to Aubrey if you have any BCWG questions.
- There’s still lots of apply juice for sale–help support our athletes.
- Our own tournament is coming up in April 13-14. Sign up in club to volunteer.
The Season is flying by fast. First some time-sensitive information:
1. Please note that tomorrow is the last chance to get weights and payments in club for the Youth Provincials in Abbotsford. (Event is on the 10th, with weigh-ins on the 9th and a BC team workout on the 11th).
2. The Kamloops Judo Club has put out a request for volunteers for the February 23-24th BC Winter Games. Contact them directly for details.
3. There is a regional team workout this Sunday in Kelowna 10-12 at 710 Evans Court.
Next, it was a delight to see so many new faces for the kids class bring a friend night. Don’t forget that we can offer a 2-week free trial to anyone who would like to try out judo for the first time. Just get them to check in with us ahead of time and fill out the paperwork. We’re happy to answer any questions they might have – just have them email the email@example.com address.
We also had 4 attendees at the Okanagan Open in Kelowna. Congratulations to team: Peyton, Nate, Lilli and Mnason.
Lastly, don’t forget
1. Apple juice sales help support our athletes. We’re hoping every family can sell 5 boxes.
2. Our own tournament is coming up: April 13-14.
The VJC Parents’ Association has fresh-pressed local apple juice available for purchase again at the hall. Support our judoka and buy 5L for $15.
With the regional team workout behind us (much better attended than our October Session), note the following dates as we wind-down December:
- December 18th: Last day of the year with judogis. Regular class times.
- December 21st: Promotions Potluck. Meet at 6:30, eat at 7 and wind up by 8. Please come out and get to know the volunteers that make the VJC work. Our last meeting of 2017.
- January 4th: Regular classes resume for the 2017-2018 season.
- January 20th: Next regional team workout (Aberdeen Judo Club–Kamloops)
- January 21st: Okanagan Open Inter-Club Shiai (Kelowna–for Novice Judoka–it’s inexpensive and nearby. Talk to us to sign up)
The PDF version of the calendar posted in the club is at vernonjudo.ca, under Events and to the lower right if viewing on a computer or tablet and at the bottom if on a smartphone.
Finally, a big congratulations to all those who attended the Burnaby tournament (Avery, Carson, Kiyoshi, Mnason, Nadine, Teigan and Thaddeus). We were impressed with everyone’s efforts and determination over a long day. Four of the seven also took home medals: Kiyoshi and Carson got first in their divisions, Nadine second and Teigan third). George, Dean and Brian were able to coach and Donna, Sydney and Aubrey refereed (where I think it was a first-time experience for the last two with the judocare system). See full shiai results at judobc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017-Canada-West-Invitational-Results.pdf
Congratulations to all four of our BC Winter Games candidates who all placed first in their division at the zone 2 trials (*or are the alternate for their division): Teigan Bixby, Nadine Bondt, Kiyoshi Comley and Emma Houston*.
Donna and Sydney at the Quebec Open, Camp and Ontario open. Congratulations to Sydney on her Bronze in the U18 division.
Remembrance day stat (Monday Nov 13) classes moved to combined class 7-8:30 (where younger judoka may bow off at 8).
Our deadline for Steveston weights and registrations is Tuesday November 14.
BC Winter Games trials to be held in Kamloops November 25 (registrations need to be in by Nov 22). Regional team and zone 2 workout to follow zone 2 trials.
Registration continuing into October. We still have spaces in the 6:30 and 7:45 (kids’ and adult) classes. We also have received approval for a banner at McDonald Park.
Also in October:
Thanksgiving Monday classes moved to Tuesday October 10, 7-8:30
High Performance Team Training (Abbotsford) Oct 14-15
Kata Clinic [GJ, Kime and Ju (Steveston)] Oct 14-15
Referee Seminar (Aberdeen Judo Academy, Kamloops) Oct 21-22
Thompson/Okanagan Regional Training (Vernon) Oct 29 [Sessions 1 9:30-11:30; Petit Samurai (U12) 11:30-12; Session 2 1-3]
Thanks to Sensei Donna Hanson for running the NCCP Dojo Assistant Course in Vernon September 16-17 and to all the participants. Looking forward to Brian, Bryan, Ed, Sydney and Trudy all completing their DA certification.
Also, on Monday night Donna was able to relay some of the material covered at the Inter-Provincial Training Camp held in Invermere last weekend. Congratulations to the Invermere Judo Club on their 50th Anniversary.
The VJC 2017-18 season starts with Registration Wednesday September 6th from 7-8:30. Registration will be ongoing through September. The first night of classes is Thursday September 7th.
New for this season, we’re planning to add a rec session Wednesday nights (fitness and varied topics) at the same time as the technical/conditioning sessions from 6:30-8PM.